Special operations are conducted by small teams in hostile, denied, or politically sensitive areas. Success depends on the skill, maturity, and professionalism of each member of the team. SOCS are Marines who provide combat support expertise in intelligence, fire support, communications, and military police as part of a Marine Special Operations Team.
The MARSOC Combat Support Orientation Course (MCSOC) is designed to identify Marines from combat support MOS who are interested in a tour in special operations. MCSOC will educate these Marines about the unique challenges, opportunities, training and operations that await those assigned to MARSOC to become SOCS.
Marines with the following MOSs are eligible to participate:
- SOF Fires Specialists (SOCS-B): 0861 (E-5 through E-7)
- SOF Communications Specialists (SOCS-C): 0621, 0651, 0629, 0659, 0681, 0689, 2821, 2823, 2841, 2847, 2862 (E-4 through E-7)
- SOF Multi-Purpose Canine Handler (SOCS-D): 5811 (E-4 through E-5)
- SOF SIGINT Specialists (SOCS-F): 26XX (E-4 through E-7)
- SOF Geospatial Specialists (SOCS-G): 0241 and 0261 (E-4 through E-7)
- SOF CI/HUMINT Specialists (SOCS-H): 0211 (E-4 through E-7)
- SOF All-Source Intel Specialists (SOCS-I): 0231 (E-4 through E-7)
- Special Operations Training Course (STC): Six weeks of unhindered, realistic, challenging basic and intermediate SOF war fighting skills training.
- Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape Training (SERE)
- MARSOF Level 1 MOS Specific Courses
- Explosive Ordnance Disposal (6 weeks)
- Communications (12 weeks)
- Intelligence (4-6 weeks)
- Joint Terminal Attack Controller (4 weeks)
- Multi-Purpose Canine (10 weeks)
- SARC/IDC Corpsman (13 months)